How to Access Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Remotely
When opening MS SQL Management Studio, you will see a login screen which requires the following details:
- Server Type - Select Database Engine.
- Server Name - You can use any address which resolves to your server, including:
- Your account's IP address
- Server hostname (e.g. PSS20.win.hostgator.com)
- Your domain name (must be pointed to our server)
- Authentication - Windows Authentication can only be used by Dedicated Server owners. This option is for if you are logging in remotely without using SQL Server Authentication or if you are connecting with Remote Desktop.
- Login - This will be your database username which can be found in the Websites & Domains section Plesk Panel by selecting the databases icon and then selecting the database you wish to use.
- Password: This will be your database user password.
Common Issues When Logging In
The following is a common error message which may occur when you attempt to log into MS SQL Server remotely:
There are several possible solutions to this error listed below. If you are still receiving an error message after eliminating these possibilities, please submit a ticket for assistance.
Whitelist IP Address
Whitelisting your IP address permits connections to the database server from your current internet connection. Once you have whitelisted your IP address, it can take up to one hour for whitelist modifications to take effect. Users with a dynamic IP address will be required to whitelist again if the IP address changes. Please open a support Ticket for us to whitelist your IP address.